Fingers on buttons, contestants! It’s time for GDPR Jeopardy!
With the effective date for the wide-reaching General Data Protection Regulation just months away on May 25, organizations around the world that handle the sensitive data of EU citizens are (or at least should be) in the midst of preparing.
In a nutshell, the GDPR is designed to strengthen and unify data protection for individuals within the European Union (EU). It also addresses the export of EU citizens’ personal data outside the EU, meaning both Eurozone companies and those based in the U.S., for example, that handle EU citizen data will have to comply with the regulation.
A Learning Opportunity
As we’ve discussed before, the GDPR contains specific provisions on maintaining the privacy awareness of employees handling client data through training. Unfortunately, the rules don’t go further than that. But, that’s no reason to put any less focus on this aspect of GDPR compliance as any other; or hold off on thinking about how to train your employees until the last minute. Unfortunately, our own research shows that U.S. employees are severely lacking in their knowledge of this landmark regulation.
To generate some interest and help spread the word about the GDPR, we’ve built a free-to-play online game designed to test your and your employees/colleagues’ knowledge about the GDPR. Modeled on the classic game show Jeopardy!, our online game helps players understand the basics of data privacy and the GDPR.
Sample questions include:
- What is the purpose of the GDPR?
- Who is responsible for following policies related to the collection and processing of personal data?
- Who do the GDPR data protection requirements apply to?
How to Use It
Want a quick and easy way to engage your employees and colleagues around GDPR knowledge? Consider following the steps below:
- Reach out to your HR team to discuss sending out an email to all employees with a link to the game. If you have dedicated internal communications staff, get their buy-in, too.
- Craft a brief email with a link to the game explaining the importance of GDPR and privacy awareness knowledge. Feel free to pull text from this post or the game itself.
- Tell employees to send screen captures of their final scores in the game so you can post them to a company leaderboard; say in a kitchen or other common space.
- Recognize the high scorers! Consider giving them a simple certificate or small gift for a job well done!
Want to customize this game for your company or build it into an existing learning management system or awareness training initiative? Contact us today to learn how!