Why You Should Care About Data Privacy Day
What you need to know to make the most out of a day dedicated to protecting personal information
What Is Data Privacy Day?
Data Privacy Day (DPD) is held annually on Jan. 28 to call attention to data privacy and protection.
Spearheaded each year by the National Cybersecurity Alliance (NCSA), DPD is part of a greater campaign that promotes awareness of the importance of privacy, highlights easy ways to protect personal information, and reminds organizations that privacy is good for business.
Each year the NCSA invites organizations of all sizes to become Data Privacy Champions. MediaPRO is proud to be a DPD Champion and encourages other organizations to take advantage of the data privacy training and awareness opportunities the day brings. MediaPRO recognizes and supports the principle that all organizations share the responsibility of being conscientious stewards of personal information.
Signing up to become a Champion gives you access to a variety of free resources to promote protecting personal data and makes you part of a team of organizations, large and small, dedicated to empowering individuals and encouraging businesses to respect privacy, safeguard data, and enable trust.
Visit the NCSA site to learn how to become a Champion.
We’ve built this toolkit to make it easy for you to share bite-sized bits of information concerning data privacy best practices and the value everyone should place on their personal data.Download Toolkit
Data Privacy Day 2020
The theme for DPD 2020 is “Own Your Privacy,” in which consumers and corporations alike are encouraged to view personal data as the priceless resource it is and take the necessary steps to protect it.
The NCSA has laid out ways the “Own Your Privacy” concept can be worked into both personal and work lives:
- Think carefully about what personal information you give out through apps and websites.
- Consider what posting any information on social media can reveal about you, colleagues, or loved ones before hitting “Send.”
- Ensure the anti-virus software on your work computer and devices is kept up to date and browsers and other online tools are patched with the latest updates.
- Encourage coworkers to keep data privacy top of mind throughout their work days, both with sensitive customer and employer information.
Data Privacy Day 2020 Live in San Francisco
“Owning Your Privacy” is more than a catchphrase. Landmark regulations like the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in Europe and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) in the U.S. have cemented numerous data privacy rights for consumers across the globe. With these new rights have come vital conversations among companies who deal in this data and privacy advocates who seek to protect it.
This year the NCSA is bringing together experts on U.S. and international privacy as part of Data Privacy Day 2020: A Vision for the Future, live on Tuesday, January 28 at 1:00 p.m. EST/10:00 a.m. PST. at LinkedIn headquarters in San Francisco, California.
Thought leaders in data privacy, including MediaPRO’s own Chief Learning Officer Tom Pendergast, will delve deep into the global wave of regulations and what they mean for economies around the world today and into the future.
- How the GDPR has changed privacy across the globe
- The impacts of the CCPA and what this means for a national privacy movement in the U.S.
- What we need to do as a society to protect ourselves in this increasingly data-driven digital world
- How industries can prepare for future privacy regulations and make protecting customers’ data a top priority
Visit the NCSA site to learn how to watch the live stream of the Data Privacy Day event or register for free to attend in person.Learn More
Data Privacy Links and Resources
Anyone who wants to take advantage of Data Privacy Day as an opportunity to promote key data privacy concepts with their colleagues or employees is in luck.
From infographics and social posts to webinars and live events, there’s no shortage of free resources and content to help make friends, colleagues, and employees more privacy aware. And best of all: they’re all free!
- Learn how to update your privacy settings for numerous sites all from the same page
- Download and share an infographic with five easy ways to help employees become privacy aware
- Read about how to communicate data privacy to children with this free tip sheet for parents
- Attend a Data Privacy Day event in your community
- Download a free Data Privacy Day toolkit packed with resources to promote data privacy with your employees
- Read a deep dive into the importance of identifying personal information
- Watch an on-demand webinar on how develop a privacy awareness and training program in line with the CCPA and beyond
- Download and share a collection of quick-hit graphics with data privacy advice designed to be shared on social media (graphics will download as a zipped file). Check out a sample below!
Join the Conversation
The NCSA is also hosting three Twitter chats via hashtag #ChatNCSA before and after Data Privacy Day to discuss topics ranging from safe sharing to privacy regulations:
- January 24: “Protecting your privacy in an age of oversharing”
- January 27: “Privacy legislation is coming. What does that mean for you?” (For small- and medium-sized businesses)
- February 11: “Safer Internet Day: Is there such thing as privacy anymore?”
Check NCSA on Twitter at @StaySafeOnline for more information.